RMNP - Bridal Veil Falls via Cow Creek

Day 3 was a turning point. We made it there & back unscathed, but things were looking sketchy for a minute there. 

Started out calm enough - sprinkling flurries (so pretty! so scenic! :D ), not forecast to become anything significant until 4pm, with 2-4 inches total accumulation. We set out around 10am and figured we were in the clear for our little trek to the falls and back. 

About 30 minutes in, the snowfall got a little faster and bigger. 

About an hour in, once past the glades and into the woods, things started to get worrisome.  

Now, I selected this trail specifically because I really wanted to see a frozen falls. I had read recent reviews of other trails where the big finale was actually a big let-down, because the falls weren't visible under all the snow. But Bridal Veil Falls had recent reviews that gushed about the dramatic icicles and trickles beneath the ice and all that glorious winter wonder. So this was my educated pick!

Well, duh. The issue is the condition of the snowfall, not the condition of the falls. 

We spent the last .25 mile or so trying to figure out where on earth the now-buried trail went. Probably scrambled up some places I shouldn't have been. Finally realized I was standing on a sheet of ice rendered invisible under the snow. EEK! And, of course, the falls were completed obscured. 

We listened to the gurgling of the water below and around us. I do love that sound. But we didn't linger long. And the hustle back out was rough. We weren't sure how much snow had already accumulated. And the trailhead was at the bottom of a steep road lined sparsely with private residences. We had rented 4-wheel drive vehicle, thankfully (my Fiesta ST doesn't do well in even 1 inch of snow). But with an unfamiliar vehicle, I had no idea if we should be worried about getting back up and out.

Giant, damp snowflakes pelted us in the face as we scrambled back out of the woods in rapidly-deepening snow. The deeper it gets, the higher you've gotta lift those dang knees. My cap was crusted over with ice chunks. Snow in my eyebrows, snow in my eyelashes, snow in my hair... blink the snowflakes away, put on sunglasses to keep the snow out, pull up the gaiter to warm up the face, steam up the sunglasses, rip them both off, and repeat. 

I did, however, manage to make Ryan take a selfie with me. "I'm worried if we're gonna make it out alive, and you're worried about a selfie." :/ We agreed we wouldn't have each other any other way. ^_^ 

Of course, we made it out just fine. Icy! But just fine. And the Jeep handled that hill like a BOSS! 

The snow fell until 1am or so :O but we enjoyed the show from inside our cozy little cabin haven until we switched over the hot tub for the rest of the night. And let me tell you. The sensation of snow flakes melting on bare arms and face, one by one, while the rest of you steeps in 100+ degree water is sublime. A rare opportunity that we absolutely savored.  

More pics and even a bit of video (we were so excited for a flat, easy trail ...) can be found here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RMNP - Deer Mountain Trail