What is minding the switchback?


 A switchback is a zig-zagging section of a road used to tackle a steep slope. Switchbacks are the reason why, when we lived in Guatemala, distance on a map gave no indication as to how long travel would take, because what appears to be 15 miles on a map can double, triple, quadruple in zig-zagging up one side of a mountain and back down the other. 

Switchbacks are also frequently found on trails, and while it may be tempting to forgo the switchback and cut corners to a more direct route - DON'T DO IT! Switchbacks are important for preventing erosion! Cutting switchbacks can harm the trail and the ecosystem. It can result in those closed off sections you encounter on a trail that are trying to be repaired. According to this information from the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky, switchback cutting is prohibited by law there. So I'll give you good reasons to mind the switchback - cutting may be illegal and it's definitely a jerk move. 

But guess who didn't know a thing about it before this year... 

I was googling what exactly 'Leave No Trace' means, and staying on the designated trail is part of that commitment. Cutting switchbacks leaves a destructive trace. 

This is just one of the many, many things I've learned by being curious while hiking and spending more time outdoors. Every hike raises new questions to ponder and research, and I love that. I created this blog to share those questions and findings. I imagine it will consider all sorts of questions, such as - what's the best time of year for this trail? what is this fungus? who is supposed to step aside for whom? and what do I do with this goodie I just foraged? 

I am definitely not an expert in any of this. I come home with questions and crack books and tap phone apps and websearch the heck out of things. I follow hiking blogs and facebook pages and try to be a contributing member. And, when in doubt, I definitely take any mysterious fungus questions to my local mycological society before consuming. I welcome any expert advice and feedback on any of my posts. Learning is a cooperative exercise!

I hope that others can benefit from my learnings. I hope it will inspire curiosity and respect for our natural world. And I hope it will motivate you to spend a little more time outdoors - on a trail, in a park, or even in a yard. 

Cheers! And, for the love of topsoil, mind the switchback!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RMNP - Deer Mountain Trail